Monday, December 21, 2009

Push the envelope

First post in over a year.

I'm challenging myself to do some new things this upcoming year. First, I'm going to update this thing at least once every two weeks, and find enough interesting things to say to make it worthwhile. If my buddy Steve Fitzpatrick can do it, so can I.

I'm going to work on both my writing and my drawing. Both have languished for a long time, and this is the year that I get going with both again.

On the writing side, I have challenged a couple of my friends to see who can get a short story published first this year. I also have the novel I'm working on, and an outline for another.

On the gaming side, I plan to write, and illustrate, a line of vehicle, ship, and planet books for the game Traveller. These I will self-publish in PDF format, and once I have a critical mass of each, I will see about getting them into print. On the print side, I have a couple of projects I'm starting, but I don't want to give anything away. These are personal projects, in the sense that they are mine, not work-for-hire. I just need to keep up my current momentum.

On the drawing side, in addition to the gaming books, I want to work on a web comic or two. One would be in conjunction with my friend Earl, if he can get off his butt, and the other would be in conjunction with one of my secret projects.

Yeah, I plan on a busy year, but as a wise woman once told me, "The more you do, the more you can do." I intend to push that to the limit this year in my creative pursuits. While, and at the same time, making sure that I am there for my family.

Off I go, and back to work.

3 comments:

Rob Cole said...

There are times that I wish I was still up in Edmonton to get some gaming in. I could help play-test traveller stuff.
But then I think that as cold as Calgary was recently - Edmonton was worse. So I'm okay where I am.

Colin said...

Heh. I don't live in Edmonton any more. I've resettled in the lovely Cowichan valley, just north of Victoria.

I'm dreaming of a greeen Christmas...

But playtesters, or at least proof-readers, are more than welcome.

Earl J. Woods said...

Are you going to use any of the small ships stuff we worked on together a few years back, or has that ship, so to speak, long since sailed?